THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
As of 2020 summer, the page has had outdated information. With the 2021 July 28th big update, some features do not exist anymore or have completely different mechanics. The page is slowly getting updated!
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Overview of the Game
- 3 Beginner's Guide
- 4 Librarian's Office
- 5 Resource Compilation
This page is split into four main sections.
- The first is an overview of the game containing all the information a player would need to understand the game's features and how they work together. It is accompanied by helpful links to relevant resources on the Wikia.
- The second is a gameplay guide, written specifically to help beginners get started.
- The third is a guide to navigate all features available in the Librarian's Office menu in the game.
- The fourth and final section lists links to several helpful resources, including links to an item catalog and an FAQ.
Overview of the Game
There are five main goals in this game:
- Collecting new writers
- Strengthening writers to use in battle
- Collecting each writer's alternate outfits, their recollections and letters
- Collecting decor to customize the Librarian's Office
- Learning about history, literature and the writers
First of all, good resource management is vital for all aspects of the game. The three most important resources are Memoria Stones (召装石, shoushouseki); used to roll Memoria gachas to obtain writers, their outfits, rings or memoria cards, Alchemy Thread (錬金糸, renkin ito); to strengthen writers' outfits, and Ink (洋墨, inku); used to unlock levelcaps of writer outfits. Consistently take advantage of the Letters (手紙) feature to gain ink, and accomplish Research missions (研究) to gain plenty of other resources.
Collecting new writers is called "transmigration" (転生, tensei, tenshou) in this game. There are three ways to obtain writers: upon clearing Tainted Books, summoning them from Equipment Books or from Memoria. Some writers may also be event rewards or available through limited-time campaigns, so take care to always keep updated using the Wikia's Recent Updates page.
The player may strengthen their writers in four ways:
- Tainted Book Delve: Form parties of writers and send them to battle to gain experience points and level them up. Please do note that writers have their own level, which isn't tied to their outfits!
- Blossoming: Spend different type of souls and gears to enhance your writers' stats.
- Memoria: Collect memoria stones to use in this game's gacha feature, which offers writers themselves, their alternate outfits, rings or memoria cards. When equipped with memoria cards, the cards affect your party's performance in battle. View Memoria Index to see a list of all memoria cards.
- Rings: Collect rings to equip in this game's gacha feature, Memoria. When equipped, a writer's weapon and status will change during battle, and upon leveling the rings writers can gain a ring bonus which amplifies their main weapon's abilities. View Ring Index to see a list of all rings.'
Alternate outfits for writers may be obtained in five ways:
- Blossoming: A Blossoming outfit (Japanese or Western style depending on writer) for each writer may be gained by unlocking the outfit node(s) in his Writer's Road.
- Strolls: A "casual outfit" for each writer may be gained by raising his trust level to 100 in the Strolls feature. Duplicates of the outfit are available at trust level 300 and 400.
- Memoria: Along with memoria cards, the gacha feature also dispenses limited-time alternate outfits. View a catalog of outfits here.
- In-game Events: Many in-game events distribute alternate outfits as rewards.
- Special Code: There has been one instance of an exclusive Niimi Nankichi outfit code being released to Premium NicoNico subscribers for a Bungo to Alchemist live show.
The player may view the outfits they have collected in the Change Assistant menu in the Librarian's Office, in Equipment or in Party Formation. Preview each writer's alternate outfits on the Wiki by browsing to a certain writer's profile page from the Writer index and clicking the "Gallery" button there. Other way is to access the "Outfit" page of the writer.
Recollections (回想, kaisou) are monologues or conversations involving the various characters of the game, and they may be obtained in five ways:
- By starting or beating a Tainted Book Delve under certain conditions. Note that "beating" a Tainted Book Delve is called "purifying a Tainted Book" in this game.
- By giving a writer cake on their birthday.
- As event rewards by fulfilling certain conditions.
- Visiting the library on a special day/anniversary and accessing Limited-time Recollections (限定回想) button.
- By buying limited-time birthday gift sets, which are available to all writers on their birthdays (the sets are paid and require real-life money).
After a recollection is obtained, it is recorded in the Recollections Register in the Librarian's Office. Please do note that there is small amount of recollections, which do not get recorded to the Recollections Register at all! View the Recollections page for a comprehensive guide on how to obtain all recollections in the game, as well as links to their translations.
Finally, Decor (内装, naisou) for decorating the Librarian's Office may be obtained in three ways:
- By accumulating coins and exchanging them for decor in the Decor menu in the Office.
- As limited-time event or campaign rewards.
- Serial codes handed out through real-life campaigns or Print Publications.
View the Decor page for a comprehensive catalog of decor from the game.
Other notable features:
- Voice Clips: Along with an alternate outfit, unlock a writer's voice clip node in his Writer's Road in Blossoming to unlock a special voice clip that he will say in the main library screen.
- Letters (手紙, tegami): Whenever the player opens their letters, there is a chance of receiving letters (written by other writers in the player's library) addressed to the currently set assistant. Translations of the letters can be found on the Wiki by browsing to a certain writer's profile page from the Writer index and clicking the "Letters" button.
- Strolls (散策, sansaku): Get to know more about your writers and how they spend their time in the Imperial Library. You may give gifts to the writers, which increases their trust and unlock various rewards. See Strolls page for more information.
Players have two options of platforms to play Bungou to Alchemist, also shortly known as "BunAl". The optimal way to play is on a computer through the DMM Games website, and for those who are always on the go, there is also a mobile version for both Android and Apple users. The online registration process for the first option is described below, while those who would like to play the mobile version may visit the app version page for instructions on how to download and use the mobile app.
Please do note that the PC and mobile app versions of the game are almost identical and support crossplatform play, so you can play your account on both platforms.
Registering for a DMM Account
A DMM account is needed to play Bungou to Alchemist on a computer. Please skip this section if you already have one set up or if you are playing mobile app version.
New players must create an account on DMM's account registration page. An English DMM account is fine ("Nutaku" is not). VPN/Proxy may be needed in order to access DMM Japanese website, further details are available on Troubleshooting page (Region Cookie method does not work for account creation). According to DMM's terms of service only those who are aged 18 or above can use their service, and those aged below 20 require parental guidance.
First Steps in the Game
After registering a DMM account, the player may navigate to the game's webpage to begin playing. You will see the game's official site, which lists information of the game in Japanese and on the top of the site is a banner featuring various writers of the game. There is also a big red hexagon-shaped button Start the Game Immediately (今すぐ開始), which should start the game (this is one-time only process and after this the game can be accessed from a direct link through a bookmark and so on).
You will be asked you to provide your playername (can be changed later), gender and birthdate. Please do note that players below of age 18 will be denied to access the game. This is due to Japan's laws and DMM's guidelines to protect minors from mature content and games having gacha features.
After providing the needed information, the game should start and its black screen with text warning about music and sounds should show up. Click the screen and the loading will start.
After installing the mobile app, you may launch the game and you should see a black screen with text. Tap to continue and the game should start loading.
The conversations you see on loading screen can be all seen on Login Screen Conversations page, where you may see their translations too.
Once the game has finished loading, you are prompted to agree on the game's terms of service. Tick the box and a list of the terms will pop up. Close the page, and press the yellow button "Start the Game" (ゲームを始める).
If you have previous progress, instead you may input your previous account data and continue by pressing the silver button "PC Linking & Device Change" (PC連動・機種変更). More info of how to retrieve your data, link your account between platforms, backup your mobile account data and so on can be found from the mobile app's page. Please do note that mobile players need to take extreme care of their account info! PC players or people who have linked their account to PC may continue playing the game without any worries as long as you remember the email you used for registering to DMM.
Before starting the actual gameplay on your fresh BunAl account, you are asked to give your Special Duty Librarian name (特務司書名), basically your "player name". The name can be 12 characters long and may be changed afterwards in Office through Records. The default name is 司書, "librarian".
The player in the game is referred to as Special Duty Librarian (特務司書, tokumu shisho) or simply as "librarian". At times title Alchemist (アルケミスト) is also used depending on context, but the player isn't the only alchemist in the library. Further details of the player and the Imperial Library's staff may be found on Library Personnel page.
The game will show a recollection, which acts as sequel to the game's Main Story and the Foreign Secret Records series storyline, explaining what is the story situation as of 2021 July 28th. This recollection may be skipped from the top right corner of the screen by opening up the recollection control menu and pressing "Skip" (スキップ) button.
Another recollection will start playing, starting the game's tutorial for new players.
Today you shall start the real work!
Books that have been contamined by Taints... In other words "tainted books", and purifying them, is your job.
本に潜る『 潜書 （せんしょ）』をし、文豪たちと共に
侵蝕者に穢（けが）れてしまった本……つまり『 有碍書 （ゆうがいしょ）』を浄化することが君の仕事だ
Assign a promising person as your assistant, and take charge of the writers' book delving.
Choosing a Starter
New players will be given an option to choose from a selection of starters (see their individual pages for actual profile translations, the texts below are our staff's descriptions of the writers):
|Hori Tatsuo||CV: Takahashi Kouji|
|Hori Tatsuo, "Tacchan(ko)", is one of the "Neo-Aesthetic School" writers. A sweet young man who many mistake for a child. Despite his looks, he is determined to be of help to his friends and works hard to fight the Taints. He is close friends with Akutagawa Ryuunosuke, who he also admires. Hori Tatsuo's most famous work "The Wind has Risen" has been loosely adapted into an anime movie by Miyazaki Hayao and Studio Ghibli.|
|Nakano Shigeharu||CV: Akabane Kenji|
|As a writer of proletariat literature, Nakano Shigeharu knows very well what it means to write and fight for better future. Even though he is very opinionated and might seem rough, he bears deep guilt over what happened in the past and wants to protect literature. Together with his proletariat comrades Kobayashi Takiji and Tokunaga Sunao, they are often seen eating huge amounts of food in the Library's Dining Hall.|
|Oda Sakunosuke||CV: Onosaka Masaya|
|One of the "Decadent School" writers. Oda Sakunosuke, "Odasaku", is a handsome, frank young man with thick Osaka dialect. It's hard to not be concerned about his fragile physique, that he tries to hide behind laughter and by focusing on positive things of life. He is known for his love of curry, especially the Osaka specialty "jiyuuken". Odasaku is often seen in the Library with his friends Dazai Osamu, Sakaguchi Ango and Dan Kazuo, who drink and cause trouble together.|
|Satou Haruo||CV: Tai Yuuki|
|One of the "Mita School" writers. An influental man said to have had up to 3000 disciples. Dazai Osamu, Dan Kazuo and Ibuse Masuji are few of the many people who he took in and helped them in their author careers. Haruo might have a difficult situation with Dazai in this life due to what happened with the Akutagawa Prize, but with his gentle and supporting big brother nature, Haruo tries to help the young man even if he causes trouble to the people around him. He has complicated relationship with Tanizaki Junichirou, and his ex-mentor Nagai Kafuu.|
These four are bronze-rarity writers (referred to as beige in this Wiki) of the blade weapon class. The player will be able to obtain all of these writers, and many more as they progress through the game via summoning and other ways.
Use the left and right arrows (PC) or swipe the screen (mobile app) to browse the entire selection of available starter writers.
The player may choose a writer by clicking the round "Select" (決定) button and then confirm their selection with "Yes".
Once the player has chosen a writer, they will enter the main library and see their selected writer, who is now their Assistant (助手). The assistant and his outfit may be changed later all freely in the Office.
A small list of new player rewards are handed out:
- 67x Alchemy Thread (錬金糸)
- 1x Equipment Book (有装書)
- 1x Governor (調速機)
- 1x rarity Memoria Card of your starter writer
New players are prompted to go summon writers to fill their delving parties. Click the big 潜書 button to access the Book Delve menu.
There are two types of "Book Delves" in this game: Tainted Book Delve (有碍書, yuugaisho), where a player sends a party of writers into battle to purify books, and Ensouled Book Delve (有魂書, yuukonsho), where the player may summon writers from books where writers' souls dwell. Equipment Books (有装書, yuusousho) are special kind of Ensouled Books; beside having writers, they also have various writers' equipment within them.
Click the green button Equipment Books (有装書) to access the summoning menu. Please do note that the writer list on the right will show up once you've selected a slot for delving.
The game guides you to select the top-most delve slot and choose Tokuda Shuusei for delving, who is currently your only writer available for the task (in the screenshot below Akutagawa Ryuunosuke is used for the delve).
You are given a chance to see your delve-related materials and how much a delve will cost you. One Equipment Books delve costs one (1) Equipment Book . You may also use Governor (調速機), which skips the delve waiting time and shows the result right away. The tutorial forces you to use a governor, but later you may let the timer run out naturally or after starting a delve, skip the waiting if you desire so.
Once you have enabled governor usage, press the yellow "Confirm" (確定) button to commence delve. The tutorial is guaranteed to give you a random writer of all available writers in the permanent pool. Outside of the tutorial, a delve into Equipment Books may also give you writers' outfits or Memoria Cards.
Once you you have completed your first Equipment Books delve, you are asked to press Writers (文豪) button on the left-side quickmenu and click the brown Equipment (装備) button to complete the Equipment Books tutorial and proceed to strengthen a writer for Tainted Book delving.
Few important notes about Equipment Books Delving:
- Equipment Books are rare items available as reward from events and Research missions. It's recommended only to do one daily delve to clear the research mission requiring one Equipment Book Delve. In the future there might be special rate-ups or limited-time campaigns where you will need them, so it's not recommended to use up all of your books.
- Assistant can't be selected for Equipment Books delve. If you wish to use the writer you currently have as assistant, you must first change assistant to someone else.
- While writers are delving into Equipment Books, they can't delve into other books (Tainted Books, Sealed Books, event books etc.)!
- A writer delving can appear in Strolls, however his sprite won't show up and you can't give him gifts until he is done with the delving and you've claimed the result of it.
Further info and delve timers can be found on Equipment Books page.
Strengthening a Writer's Outfit
Next you will arrive to Equipment (装備) section of the game. This is a place where you may see and manage all your owned outfits, writers, memoria cards and rings.
The first thing you will see are Outfits (衣装).
In the tutorial you are asked to choose Tokuda Shuusei and strengthen his regular outfit. Select him and you are taken a screen where you can see the outfit's stats and its level. Press the small up arrow (▲) button to level up the outfit to level 2. Confirm the action by pressing the round "Level Up/Strengthen" (強化) button.
Leveling up an outfit consumes Alchemy Thread (錬金糸) , material which is common reward from events, Research missions, and Auto-Delve in Tainted Book Delve menu. Sometimes limited-time campaigns also hand out some.
After you have strengthened Tokuda Shuusei's regular outfit, press the small "Return" (戻る) button on the left bottom corner of the screen to go back to the list of all outfits.
Next you are assigned to go form a party of your currently acquired writers. Press the Writers (文豪) button on the left-side quickmenu and there a green button Formation (結成).
How to Form a Party
Formation (結成) is the section where you arrange your writers into teams to send into battle. You may also equip your writers with rings and memoria cards, or strengthen their outfits.
The player may form up to five parties with personalized party names.
You are asked to add Tokuda Shuusei to your team. Click the empty slot with a yellow button Add Member (加入) next to your starter writer.
A list of writers will open up. In this panel you see the writer's stats and may equip your writer with a ring. Click Tokuda Shuusei on the list, then the big silver button on bottom right corner To Outfit Selection (衣装選択画面へ).
You will see the writer's all outfits you currently have in possession, that you can choose to be added to your team. You may also strengthen the outfits in this screen. Tokuda Shuusei's regular outfit is automatically selected, as it is your only outfit for him. Press the Select Outfit (衣装決定) button and you will be taken back to party screen.
Next you are asked to equip a Memoria Card (装像, souzou) of your starter writer to the upper memoria slot meant for Attack Class cards. Press the slot and choose the card from the list that opens up. Proceed with the selection by pressing the yellow "Confirm" (決定) button. Now you have the card equipped, and it will enchance your team's Attack power. The lower slot will be for Defense Class cards, and they will enhance your team's defense. All cards regardless of their class also have a Weapon Type, Element and special effect that boosts the team's accuracy, chances to land a crit hit on enemies or fills writers' Epiphany Gauge faster.
Your team is now ready for its first battle. Press the red button Book Delve (潜書) on the left-side quickmenu, and there the red button Tainted Book Delve (有碍書).
- Switch between parties using the tabs on the top right.
- The Leader position is the only one which must be filled.
- A writer can be included in multiple parties.
- Only one unit (=outfit) of the same writer is allowed in a team, you can't have a team full of same writer.
- When typing in a new party name, make sure to click the "Rename Party" button to confirm the change.
A filter menu can be used to sort out writers according to different categories.
Finally, it is recommended to form teams focusing on one element to defeat the various varieties of enemy Taints. Furthermore, although higher rarity writers generally have better stats than regular writers, it is fully possible to clear the hardest Tainted Book Delves in the game with a full team of beige-rarity writers. What mostly matters is the level of the writer's outfit and its rarity. View Combat Mechanism for more details on writer statistics and the different weapon classes, which will be helpful in forming teams.
More info of forming a party can be found of Party Formation page.
THIS TUTORIAL IS ONLY UPDATED TO THIS POINT CURRENTLY. INFO BEYOND THIS POINT MIGHT BE OUTDATED OR MISSING IMPORTANT DETAILS.
Intro to Tainted Book Delving
The player may begin to level up their writers, as well as obtain resources used in Blossoming and transmigrate new writers, by entering the Tainted Book Delve (有碍書) section from the Book Delve menu and purifying the first book on the first shelf.
Tainted Books are listed into the i-ro-ha [いろは] sequence, which is a traditional ordering of the Japanese syllabary, a system similar to "ABC".
Click the first book, which in this case is I-1 book "Mold" by Tokuda Shuusei.
Click on the orange button to begin the Tainted Book Delve. The team will automatically advance along a path determined by RNG and branching rules. Red nodes contain enemies, or "Taints" the delving party must defeat, and green nodes indicate item drops. After every battle, the player is asked whether they would like to advance or retreat. If a writer enters breakdown state, the game will lock the advance button until the player agrees with the warning that appears on the upper-left corner of the screen.
Be careful of the writers' states before choosing to advance, as a mistake could cause their soul to be separated from its body and for them to effectively die.
The player will only unlock the next Tainted Book after purifying the previous one.
Upon purifying a tainted book, Auto-battle(自動潜書) mode will be available in further delves into that book. By default, the Auto-battle mode will be selected upon entering a purified book. Should any writer enters breakdown state the game will automatically retreat.
The player may choose to switch to Manual-battle(手動潜書) mode by clicking the button on the upper-right corner.
If the player closes the game or loses connection during a delve, the game will show the rewards screen with a failed grade and the resources gained up to the node the player was on upon restarting the game.
Learn more about the different types of enemies in the Taint Types page.
View Combat Mechanism to learn more about the battles in the delves themselves, including information about weakened and breakdown states and how they are related to writer death, how to trigger dual attacks, etc.
Intro to Blossoming
The player may use resources such as souls and soul gears to blossom a writer's nodes of potential along his Writer's Road. Each writer also has an alternate outfit and a unique voice clip node in his Writer's Road. Visit the Blossoming page for further information, including what resources may be needed and how to get them, etc.
Intro to Memoria
The Memoria feature is this game's gacha feature. The player may gather memoria stones by completing research missions regularly, claiming them as monthly salary and participating in events. Rolling the Memoria gacha yields mainly 1-2 star rarity memoria cards, which affect writers' stats when equipped. There are also limited-time outfits, rings and 3-star rarity memoria cards available through this feature which change every two weeks or so. These are called memoria features on this wikia, and a list of all past memoria features along with the current one may be found here. Please view the Memoria page for a thorough guide on how to use the feature.
Intro to Ring Feature
The rings are items obtainable from Memoria feature. When equipped to specific writers they will change their weapon type, as well as gaining them a ring bonus which amplifies their main weapon's abilities. Rings also bring back old memories or brings forth hidden feelings. Please view the Ring page for a thorough guide on how to use the feature.
The Office menu contains many features that are non-essential to the game. However, the player may take pleasure in doing things like giving gifts to their favorite writers, viewing their collection of letters and writers, choosing a writer and outfit to display, and arranging their office space to their preference here.
This is an optional feature the player may use to furnish their Office. Coins (available as event rewards, research mission rewards, etc.) may be used to purchase decor and personalize the player's space. View Decor page for a guide on how to navigate the Decor shop and for a list of decor.
Records menu contains two features, Battle Records and Research Report.
Battle Records contains player information such as player level, resource regeneration cap and collection records. The player may choose to change their display name from the button "Change (変更)" here.
In Research Report, players can write their own reports with a customized text and a picture from their owned memoria cards, and also can view other players' Research Reports.
Check this index for information on all writers that have been transmigrated, to access Recollections and Letters of each of them, and to listen to voice clips. There are three features: "Recollections Register(left)" "Characters' Register(middle)" and "Ring Register(right)".
The player may click the feature on the left, "Recollections Register" to see all the recollections they have triggered. The recollections are divided into three tabs: first tab containing regular recollections(Strolls, Tainted Book, Dining Hall, Birthday, Anniversary recollections and monthly payday statements), second tab containing stories (Main Story, Substory chapters and Sealed Book recollections), and third tab containing Event recollections.
The feature on the middle "Characters' Register" displays images of all the writers the player has ever transmigrated. When the player clicks a writer's image, the game opens the writer's profile page.
- Letters: Letters the player has received from other writers with that writer set as library assistant.
- Recollections: Most recollections involving that writer.
- Voice Clips: A selection of voice clips by that writer. Note that a writer's voice bank is only unlocked after unlocking five nodes on his Writer's Road in the Blossoming menu.
The last feature "Ring Register" displays a list of writers who own rings. Clicking a writer's image opens the list of rings that writer owns, and clicking a ring's image will open that ring's page.
Here the player may view the level and durability of the ring, and also may read the writer's old memories and hidden thoughts that reside within that ring.
Tools & Items
This menu is essentially the player's inventory and the game's shop located in one place.
View the Purchasing page for a guide on how to purchase items in-game.
View the Shop page for a list of items available in the shop and current sales.
View the Items Catalogy page for a list of all items available in the game.
Introduction to Strolls
Strolls is an optional feature in which the player may raise their trust with the writers by giving them presents. The player obtains a writer's casual outfit when their trust level reaches 100 points. The player may also obtain a special recollection between 2 writers who are at Trust points 120. View Strolls for more information, including links to translations of the things the writers say.
This menu allows the player to change the current library assistant to another writer and choose his outfit. The Outfit Storage feature is also located in this menu, where obtained outfits for writers who are not currently in the player's library may be viewed.
- Letters feature guide
- Blossoming feature guide
- Combat mechanism explanation
- Memoria feature guide
- Strolls feature guide
- A list of all writers with links to their profiles may be found here.
- A catalog of the regular tainted book shelves may be found here.
- A catalog of the sealed library shelves may be found here.
- All items in the game and where to find them are catalogued in this page.
- An archive of past and current events may be found here
- An archive of past and current campaigns may be found here.
- View the content of past and present memoria features here.
- View an index of all memoria cards here.
- View an index of all rings here.
- View a list of all Research missions here.
- View a comprehensive list of Tainted Book, Dining Hall, Event, and Birthday recollections here.
- View a complete catalog of all decor at the Decor page.
- Translations of writers' lines from Strolls when at the Courtyard, Entrance, Lounge, Bar and after being given a gift.
- Listen to background music from the game here.
Other helpful resources
- Find a list of brief explanations of the game content, items and factions here.
- Find a list of answers to frequently asked questions here.
- Find help in case of issues with the game (mobile and PC) here.
- Find up-to-date information on what is happening in the game at Recent Updates.